One Big Thing: 30 Years Ago Today Nelson Mandela Released
Join us and spread the word to your community
dWhat you need to know:
- On this day thirty years ago, Nelson Mandela was released from prison, marking the end to his 27-year incarceration by the South African apartheid government. Mandela’s non-violent work to end apartheid in South Africa and establish a multiracial government as an activist and the first black president of South Africa. His efforts have been viewed by many as a huge step in the global fight against racism and fostering racial reconciliation. In 1993, Mandela was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
- Nelson Mandela lived and worked during a time when the all-white apartheid regime enforced policies of extreme racial segregation. Despite strong opposition to apartheid within and outside of South Africa, it remained in effect for the better part of 50 years triggering huge political and societal and cleavages.
Why is it important?
- Mandela’s legacy is rooted in peace, reconciliation and social justice but it also emphasizes the importance of civility and putting his country’s interests before his party’s. Despite the societal differences in South Africa, he was able to look past South Africa’s grievances to address the important issues.
- Today, as our own primary elections focus in New Hampshire, it is as important as always to remember Mandela’s ability to stand up for what is right but also compromising when necessary.
What can you do?
- Learn more about Mandela’s legacy and the work at the Nelson Mandela Foundation.
One Big Thing: Are you concerned about political violence in the United States?Recently, politically motivated violence against elected officials and US election officials has been on the rise. Politico
Senate Passes Bipartisan China Competition Bill, Draws Criticism From Chinese Communist PartyWhat’s the story? The Senate on Tuesday approved a broad package aimed at improving America’s technological competitiveness and Legislation
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights