One Big Thing: 30 Years Ago Today Nelson Mandela Released
Join us and spread the word to your community
dWhat you need to know:
- On this day thirty years ago, Nelson Mandela was released from prison, marking the end to his 27-year incarceration by the South African apartheid government. Mandela’s non-violent work to end apartheid in South Africa and establish a multiracial government as an activist and the first black president of South Africa. His efforts have been viewed by many as a huge step in the global fight against racism and fostering racial reconciliation. In 1993, Mandela was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
- Nelson Mandela lived and worked during a time when the all-white apartheid regime enforced policies of extreme racial segregation. Despite strong opposition to apartheid within and outside of South Africa, it remained in effect for the better part of 50 years triggering huge political and societal and cleavages.
Why is it important?
- Mandela’s legacy is rooted in peace, reconciliation and social justice but it also emphasizes the importance of civility and putting his country’s interests before his party’s. Despite the societal differences in South Africa, he was able to look past South Africa’s grievances to address the important issues.
- Today, as our own primary elections focus in New Hampshire, it is as important as always to remember Mandela’s ability to stand up for what is right but also compromising when necessary.
What can you do?
- Learn more about Mandela’s legacy and the work at the Nelson Mandela Foundation.
Quote of the WeekQuotes
A Call for MavericksOur nation’s founders were mavericks when they built a new type of government that sought to defend liberty and justice for all Short Video
Is Trump’s Confusing Syria Policy Setting Up a Human Rights Disaster?President Trump’s approach to foreign affairs has always been unorthodox, but his recent decision to withdraw troops from Syria News
Quote of the Week: September 24th, 2019"Nothing in life is more liberating than to fight for a cause larger than yourself, something that encompasses you but is not Quotes
US Firms are Helping Build China's Orwellian StateThe Chinese government is leveraging American tech to build and maintain a massive civilian surveillance network. The Communist News
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights