One Big Thing: It’s Super Tuesday. How Secure Is Your Vote?
Exercise your right to vote and register here!
What is it?
- Super Tuesday is the biggest primary day in the presidential election season with 14 states and one territory holding elections.
- With California and Texas holding primaries, it is expected that the Democratic party’s field of candidates will continue to narrow.
- As people vote today and throughout the year- right up until November, election meddling will continue to be a topic that looms amid growing fears over foreign influence of social media and other mechanisms.
- The U.S. government and the U.S. Senate Intelligence Committee released detailed reports of Russian interference into the 2016 elections.
- Recently, U.S. intelligence services again warned that Russia has been trying to intervene to influence both the primary elections and the general elections.
Why is it important?
- Free and fair elections are the crux of the democratic system and foreign meddling is a huge threat to their integrity.
- For American democracy to remain strong, the United States government and its citizens must be more aware and proactive in countering misinformation and foreign interference.
- This is not a partisan issue. Bi-partisan legislation has been introduced and passed to secure American elections by Republicans and Democrats. Issue One’s Don’t Mess With Us project has extensive information on legislation.
- Last year, several top U.S. Intelligence Agencies released a joint statement naming election security as one of their top priorities.
What can you do?
- As technology grows, election meddlers get craftier. Check out ways to spot fake news and combat disinformation in your news cycle!
- Check out the Alliance for Democracy to learn more about HOW authoritarian regimes are interfering with democracy.
- Explore Issue One to find out more on what needs to be done to fix and protect our elections.
One Big Thing: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?What is it? The Washington Redskins have begun an internal review of their team name and logo which have come under fire for Quizzes
One Big Thing: Do you think peace is achievable in Afghanistan?What is it? Earlier this week, new intelligence surfaced that Russia issued bounties to the Taliban to kill American soldiers in Quizzes
FLASHBACK: Mavericks NeededAlmost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Introducing the Diplomacy CaucusThe ongoing impeachment hearings in Washington, DC have had the unintended consequence of dragging down the morale of America’s News
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights