One Big Thing: It’s Super Tuesday. How Secure Is Your Vote?
Exercise your right to vote and register here!
What is it?
- Super Tuesday is the biggest primary day in the presidential election season with 14 states and one territory holding elections.
- With California and Texas holding primaries, it is expected that the Democratic party’s field of candidates will continue to narrow.
- As people vote today and throughout the year- right up until November, election meddling will continue to be a topic that looms amid growing fears over foreign influence of social media and other mechanisms.
- The U.S. government and the U.S. Senate Intelligence Committee released detailed reports of Russian interference into the 2016 elections.
- Recently, U.S. intelligence services again warned that Russia has been trying to intervene to influence both the primary elections and the general elections.
Why is it important?
- Free and fair elections are the crux of the democratic system and foreign meddling is a huge threat to their integrity.
- For American democracy to remain strong, the United States government and its citizens must be more aware and proactive in countering misinformation and foreign interference.
- This is not a partisan issue. Bi-partisan legislation has been introduced and passed to secure American elections by Republicans and Democrats. Issue One’s Don’t Mess With Us project has extensive information on legislation.
- Last year, several top U.S. Intelligence Agencies released a joint statement naming election security as one of their top priorities.
What can you do?
- As technology grows, election meddlers get craftier. Check out ways to spot fake news and combat disinformation in your news cycle!
- Check out the Alliance for Democracy to learn more about HOW authoritarian regimes are interfering with democracy.
- Explore Issue One to find out more on what needs to be done to fix and protect our elections.
One Big Thing: Are you concerned about political violence in the United States?Recently, politically motivated violence against elected officials and US election officials has been on the rise. Politico
Senate Passes Bipartisan China Competition Bill, Draws Criticism From Chinese Communist PartyWhat’s the story? The Senate on Tuesday approved a broad package aimed at improving America’s technological competitiveness and Legislation
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights