One Big Thing: Mexican Women Strike Against Gender-Based Violence
Join us and spread the word to your community
What is it?
- On Monday, March 9, hundreds of thousands of Mexican women left their jobs to protest gender-based violence (GBV) and the lack government action. Organized on social media using #UnDíaSinNosotras, or #ADayWithoutUs, the strike closed stores, schools and other regular walks of daily life throughout the country.
- These protests are a reaction to the specific targeting of women and children, including the recent murders of Ingrid Escamilla by her husband and the kidnapping and torture of seven-year-old Fátima Aldrighetti. In 2019, 3,800 women were killed, including 1,000 femicides—a term that specifically refers to the murder of a woman because of her gender.
Why is it important?
- Gender-based Violence is out of control in Mexico as the culture of Machismo has led to higher rates of violence as well as a lack of legal accountability for the abusers. Many of the legal cases are poorly investigated, mismanaged or the perpetrators were tried for lesser crimes.
- In Mexico, women’s grievances don’t stop at GBV as women also face unequal treatment in the workplace, and in education. Women make a little as 30% less per dollar than men and are significantly less educated.
What can you do?
- Find out more from Human Rights Watch
One Big Thing: The Economic Implications of CoronavirusWhat is it? As the Coronavirus pandemic continues to spread, its economic implications have been felt here in the United States
Coronavirus and the 2020 ElectionThe coronavirus outbreak continues to shut down businesses and stop people’s everyday lives which has raised a host of questions Quizzes
One Big Thing: Has Hungary Gone too Far in the Fight Against Coronavirus?What is it? On March 30, Hungary’s parliament voted to give nearly unlimited emergency powers to President Viktor Orban – a
Quote of the WeekQuotes
A Call for MavericksOur nation’s founders were mavericks when they built a new type of government that sought to defend liberty and justice for all Short Video
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights