One Big Thing: Mexican Women Strike Against Gender-Based Violence
Join us and spread the word to your community
What is it?
- On Monday, March 9, hundreds of thousands of Mexican women left their jobs to protest gender-based violence (GBV) and the lack government action. Organized on social media using #UnDíaSinNosotras, or #ADayWithoutUs, the strike closed stores, schools and other regular walks of daily life throughout the country.
- These protests are a reaction to the specific targeting of women and children, including the recent murders of Ingrid Escamilla by her husband and the kidnapping and torture of seven-year-old Fátima Aldrighetti. In 2019, 3,800 women were killed, including 1,000 femicides—a term that specifically refers to the murder of a woman because of her gender.
Why is it important?
- Gender-based Violence is out of control in Mexico as the culture of Machismo has led to higher rates of violence as well as a lack of legal accountability for the abusers. Many of the legal cases are poorly investigated, mismanaged or the perpetrators were tried for lesser crimes.
- In Mexico, women’s grievances don’t stop at GBV as women also face unequal treatment in the workplace, and in education. Women make a little as 30% less per dollar than men and are significantly less educated.
What can you do?
- Find out more from Human Rights Watch
One Big Thing: Do you support increased sanctions on Nicaragua’s government?On July 12th, The United States imposed visa restrictions on 100 Nicaraguan officials who are accused of being involved in
Senate Passes Bipartisan China Competition Bill, Draws Criticism From Chinese Communist PartyWhat’s the story? The Senate on Tuesday approved a broad package aimed at improving America’s technological competitiveness and News
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights