One Big Thing: Mexican Women Strike Against Gender-Based Violence
Join us and spread the word to your community
What is it?
- On Monday, March 9, hundreds of thousands of Mexican women left their jobs to protest gender-based violence (GBV) and the lack government action. Organized on social media using #UnDíaSinNosotras, or #ADayWithoutUs, the strike closed stores, schools and other regular walks of daily life throughout the country.
- These protests are a reaction to the specific targeting of women and children, including the recent murders of Ingrid Escamilla by her husband and the kidnapping and torture of seven-year-old Fátima Aldrighetti. In 2019, 3,800 women were killed, including 1,000 femicides—a term that specifically refers to the murder of a woman because of her gender.
Why is it important?
- Gender-based Violence is out of control in Mexico as the culture of Machismo has led to higher rates of violence as well as a lack of legal accountability for the abusers. Many of the legal cases are poorly investigated, mismanaged or the perpetrators were tried for lesser crimes.
- In Mexico, women’s grievances don’t stop at GBV as women also face unequal treatment in the workplace, and in education. Women make a little as 30% less per dollar than men and are significantly less educated.
What can you do?
- Find out more from Human Rights Watch
U.S. Intel Warns Russia is Prepping ‘False Flag’ Operation as Pretext for Invading UkraineWhat’s the story? Russia is reportedly preparing a “false flag” operation to create a pretext and justify an invasion of Ukraine
McCain Institute Human Rights and Democracy SummitThe virtual event will take place in conjunction with the White House’s Summit for Democracy on December 9 – 10, 2021 . The
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights