One Big Thing: Coronavirus
Join us and spread the word to your community
What is it?
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) discovered in late 2019 in Wuhan, China and has since spread across the globe. As of today, the World Health Organization (WHO) reported the global statistics at 153 517 confirmed cases and 5735 deaths. There current is no vaccine to prevent Coronavirus.
- Some symptoms of Coronavirus may appear up to 2-14 days after exposure and are fever, dry coughing, and shortness of breath. The CDC defines “exposure” as being within approximately 6 feet of a COVID-19 case; close contact with a COVID-19 case or having direct contact with secretions of a COVID-19 case (e.g., being coughed on).
- While older adults and people with chronic medical conditions including heart disease, diabetes, and lung disease and most at risk of getting very sick with from coronavirus, it poses a risk to everyone and we all should be cautious and prepared.
Why is it important?
- COVID-19 has been declared a pandemic by WHO impacting the global community.
- In the U.S., the disease has spread to every state except West Virginia, according to the CDC. States and municipalities have taken drastic steps to halt the spread of the disease by closing down schools, public events, bars & restaurants and other places where people congregate in large crowds.
- This has a severe impact on the U.S. economy as well as the world. The U.S. House of Representatives passed an extensive package to in response to the crisis. It now sits with the Senate and will likely be signed by the president.
What can you do?
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds and avoid itching or touching your face.
- In your community, avoid close contact with people who are sick and maintain distance from others if Coronavirus is spreading in your area. The CDC also recommends canceling any large gatherings where the disease could be spread.
- If you think you have been exposed to Coronavirus and develop symptoms, immediately call your healthcare provider for medical advice. You should also take the appropriate steps to prevent spreading the disease to those around you.
- Check out the CDC’s recommendations for protecting your home, school and work.
- Get daily situation reports about global statistics from the WHO and track hotspots from John Hopkins University
One Big Thing: World Press Freedom DayJournalists play a major role in the promotion and protection of democracy and our unalienable rights, and they must be able to Short Video
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights