One Big Thing: The Consequences of Coronavirus on Human Rights
Join us and spread the word to your community
What is it?
- On January 30, roughly one month after its initial discovery, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) an international public health crisis. Most countries followed suit but many authoritarian governments have taken advantage of the crisis, using it to limit civil liberties and strengthen their grips on power.
- Just Security highlights how authoritarian regimes are limiting freedoms of assembly, expression, access to information and the right to participation. Despite the danger that Coronavirus poses, it is essential that emergency powers do not “insidiously creep over into the ordinary law.” Human Rights Watch also points out the ways in which open societies are better prepared for epidemic outbreaks than authoritarian regimes.
- Iran’s response to the disease, as described in The New York Times, shows how the lack of a coordinated response has made the situation particularly grave.
Why is it important?
- During a public health crisis like Coronavirus, it is important that governments’ medical responses are effective but they also must be proactively transparent and open. This is one reason why democracies are better at dealing with epidemics than authoritarian regimes.
- It is essential that governments around the world work to combat the outbreak with all groups including civil society, public health and scientific organizations, and academia instead of using blanket restrictions, bans and other measures which limit human freedoms.
What can you do?
- Learn more about China’s crackdown on Coronavirus reporting from Human Rights Watch and check out the United Nation’s statement about human rights and the Coronavirus.
- If you think you have been exposed to Coronavirus and develop symptoms, immediately call your healthcare provider for medical advice. You should take the appropriate steps to prevent spreading the disease to those around you.
One Big Thing: World Press Freedom DayJournalists play a major role in the promotion and protection of democracy and our unalienable rights, and they must be able to Short Video
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights