One Big Thing: American Media in the Age of Coronavirus
Join us and spread the word to your community
What is it?
- Over the past few weeks, due to the Coronavirus outbreak, Americans’ consumption of news has skyrocketed. A recent survey shows that most Americans have increased their news consumption since the start of the outbreak as sports leagues and Hollywood have stopped their media production.
- As American’s news consumption rises, criticism of reporters and press credibility have simultaneously risen. Coronavirus has taken every news headline around the world and many outlets have been criticized for reporting the facts about the virus’s origin, spread, and some countries’ inadequate responses.
- Generally, the current administration officials, amongst others, has criticized particular journalists and news outlets for doing their jobs - asking critical questions during times of crisis to educate the public on the government’s response.
Why is it important?
- This is important because press freedom and credibility are important tenants of democracy, especially in a public health crisis. Especially during a public health crisis, a free and trustworthy media space will help keep elected officials accountable to their citizens and is an important mechanism for governmental transparency.
- Marist’s poll shows that 3 in 4 democrats and republicans trust the news’ reporting and trust information about coronavirus from state and local government demonstrating that American are looking for fact based information and strong leadership.
What can you do?
- It is important to keep in mind that the best sources are health organizations like the CDC and the WHO. Johns Hopkins University and Medicine’s Coronavirus Resource Center remains an excellent site for factual information about Covid-19
- If you think you have been exposed to Coronavirus and develop symptoms, immediately call your healthcare provider for medical advice. You should take the appropriate steps to prevent spreading the disease to those around you.
One Big Thing: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?What is it? The Washington Redskins have begun an internal review of their team name and logo which have come under fire for Quizzes
One Big Thing: Do you think peace is achievable in Afghanistan?What is it? Earlier this week, new intelligence surfaced that Russia issued bounties to the Taliban to kill American soldiers in Quizzes
FLASHBACK: Mavericks NeededAlmost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Introducing the Diplomacy CaucusThe ongoing impeachment hearings in Washington, DC have had the unintended consequence of dragging down the morale of America’s News
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights