One Big Thing: American Media in the Age of Coronavirus
Join us and spread the word to your community
What is it?
- Over the past few weeks, due to the Coronavirus outbreak, Americans’ consumption of news has skyrocketed. A recent survey shows that most Americans have increased their news consumption since the start of the outbreak as sports leagues and Hollywood have stopped their media production.
- As American’s news consumption rises, criticism of reporters and press credibility have simultaneously risen. Coronavirus has taken every news headline around the world and many outlets have been criticized for reporting the facts about the virus’s origin, spread, and some countries’ inadequate responses.
- Generally, the current administration officials, amongst others, has criticized particular journalists and news outlets for doing their jobs - asking critical questions during times of crisis to educate the public on the government’s response.
Why is it important?
- This is important because press freedom and credibility are important tenants of democracy, especially in a public health crisis. Especially during a public health crisis, a free and trustworthy media space will help keep elected officials accountable to their citizens and is an important mechanism for governmental transparency.
- Marist’s poll shows that 3 in 4 democrats and republicans trust the news’ reporting and trust information about coronavirus from state and local government demonstrating that American are looking for fact based information and strong leadership.
What can you do?
- It is important to keep in mind that the best sources are health organizations like the CDC and the WHO. Johns Hopkins University and Medicine’s Coronavirus Resource Center remains an excellent site for factual information about Covid-19
- If you think you have been exposed to Coronavirus and develop symptoms, immediately call your healthcare provider for medical advice. You should take the appropriate steps to prevent spreading the disease to those around you.
One Big Thing: Local News Source GuideLocal news is one of the most important bases of democracy in the United States and around the world. Local outlets are able to
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights