One Big Thing: Can local news survive COVID-19?
Question: Do you pay for a local news subscription?
What is it?
- Big Tech companies like Facebook, Twitter and Google have cornered the market on news distribution and in doing so, they also have monopolized the revenue streams gained from advertisements. This has led to significant financial losses for many smaller, local news outlets around the country, forcing many to lay off journalists and employees or shutdown all together.
- As the COVID-19 outbreak continues, increased uncertainty regarding social media misinformation can sow further chaos and confusion.
Why is it important?
- The U.S. Constitution’s First Amendment guarantees freedom of the press.
- Local news is part of the fabric of American democracy because it serves as an important mechanism of local accountability and a source of reliable news. The unique relationship local journalists have with their communities has led to higher rates of trust than national news outlets.
- Providing audiences with reliable journalism about hometown public health issues is just one of the many reasons local journalism must be kept alive.
- Many philanthropic organizations and individuals have provided lifelines to media initiatives to save local news. Since March 2020, philanthropic funders have pledged over 120 million dollars in response to COVID-19’s impact on journalism around the country, but can that be sustained for the foreseeable future?
What can you do?
- Find out what local news outlets are near you from mylocalpaper.com and check out local news from hometownnews.com
- Learn more about efforts to support local news from the Democracy Fund, the Facebook Journalism Project, and the Knight Foundation.
- Comment on our page to let us know where you get your local news!
North Korea Reportedly Tests Long-Range Cruise Missile With Potentially Nuclear CapabilityWhat’s the story? North Korea reportedly tested a long-range cruise missile over the weekend that state media said is “a News
One Big Thing: Do you support the Local Journalism Sustainability Act of 2021?The Local Journalism Sustainability Act of 2021 is a bipartisan bill in support of local newsrooms across the country. The bill
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights