Do you support this weekend’s protests which called for easing social distancing practices?
Join us and share your thoughts!
What is it?
- This past weekend, protesters in over a dozen states took to the streets demanding that their states reopen their economies – despite the huge public health risk the COVID-19 outbreak continues to pose.
- As social distancing practices continue to restrict everyday life, some groups have complained that their basic freedoms are under attack.
- In Kansas, for example, a federal judge temporarily blocked the governor’s order to limit religious gatherings as it may infringe upon the freedom of religion and freedom of speech.
Why is it important?
- COVID-19 poses a huge danger to public health and therefore demands an equally strong response. In a recent NBC/Wall Street Journal poll, a majority of Americans support current stay-at-home and social distancing policies to slow the spread of the virus.
- However, it is important to protect the basic tenants of democracy to prevent government overreach as we have seen President Viktor Orban do in Hungary.
- This is not the first time the government has imposed restrictions on the general public – during WWII, a curfew and food rationing were imposed to support the war efforts abroad. Some similar sacrifices must be made by all in order to beat the global COVID-19 pandemic.
What can you do?
- Refresh yourself on the CDC’s social distancing guidelines and what to do if you experience COVID-19 have symptoms.
- Check out more information about the virus’s spread and impact by county from Facebook and Carnegie Melon University’s new COVID-19 Tracker.
- The National Conference of State Legislatures has information on what your state is doing regarding COVID-19.
Photo: Alyson McClaran / Reuters
Taliban Rejects U.S. Cooperation Against ISIS-K in AfghanistanWhat’s the story? The U.S. and Taliban over the weekend held their first formal talks since the American military withdrew from News
One Big Thing: 37K Afghan Evacuees to Be Resettled Around U.S. - How You Can HelpWhat’s the story? State Dept. data for the Afghan Placement and Assistance program obtained by the Associated Press and Axios
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights