Do you support this weekend’s protests which called for easing social distancing practices?
Join us and share your thoughts!
What is it?
- This past weekend, protesters in over a dozen states took to the streets demanding that their states reopen their economies – despite the huge public health risk the COVID-19 outbreak continues to pose.
- As social distancing practices continue to restrict everyday life, some groups have complained that their basic freedoms are under attack.
- In Kansas, for example, a federal judge temporarily blocked the governor’s order to limit religious gatherings as it may infringe upon the freedom of religion and freedom of speech.
Why is it important?
- COVID-19 poses a huge danger to public health and therefore demands an equally strong response. In a recent NBC/Wall Street Journal poll, a majority of Americans support current stay-at-home and social distancing policies to slow the spread of the virus.
- However, it is important to protect the basic tenants of democracy to prevent government overreach as we have seen President Viktor Orban do in Hungary.
- This is not the first time the government has imposed restrictions on the general public – during WWII, a curfew and food rationing were imposed to support the war efforts abroad. Some similar sacrifices must be made by all in order to beat the global COVID-19 pandemic.
What can you do?
- Refresh yourself on the CDC’s social distancing guidelines and what to do if you experience COVID-19 have symptoms.
- Check out more information about the virus’s spread and impact by county from Facebook and Carnegie Melon University’s new COVID-19 Tracker.
- The National Conference of State Legislatures has information on what your state is doing regarding COVID-19.
Photo: Alyson McClaran / Reuters
One Big Thing: Do you support the new cyber security laws?Today, President Joe Biden signed a National Security Memorandum (NSM) into effect on Improving Cybersecurity for Critical
Hong Kong Democracy Activists Fear Potential 'Exit Bans' - Should the U.S. Grant Them Refugee Status?What’s the story? A controversial immigration law enacted in Hong Kong has sparked concerns among pro-democracy activists that Legislation
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights