One Big Thing: What can be done to bring peace to Yemen?
Comment and share your thoughts!
What is it?
- The United Nations characterized the conflict in Yemen as the worst humanitarian crisis in the world as the past 5 years of fighting between the regime and the Houthi Rebels has left 4 in 5 citizens in need of assistance.
- Yemen has been in a constant flux of conflict since it deposed its president in 2011, ushering in a period of promise but then plunged into chaos. The main adversaries are the internationally recognized government - backed by a Saudi Arabia-led coalition and Houthi rebels – supported by Iran, making this a complex proxy conflict.
- The conflict in Yemen has also led to the complete demise of its healthcare system and healthcare infrastructure. Notably, several neighboring countries have reported COVID-19 outbreaks and the virus’s proclivity to travel poses a huge danger to the Yemeni people.
Why is it important?
- If a COVID-19 outbreak was to occur in Yemen, the results would be disastrous. Previous disease outbreaks have demonstrated Yemen’s inability to response these types of crises as currently, more than half of the health facilities are closed or only partially functioning.
- Fortunately, on April 8, Yemen government troops announced a two-week ceasefire to allow the country to deal with COVID-19.
- Despite significant international pressure to reach a resolution, the fighting remains in stalemate leaving the Yemeni people in a constant state of conflict and insecurity.
What can you do?
Weekly Round up - 5/22/2020For updates on global human rights issues and ways that you can make a difference, make sure to explore WHTT's social media on Short Video
FLASHBACK: Mavericks NeededAlmost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Can South Korea serve as an example to the United States on how to run an election during COVID-19?What is it? On April 15, South Korea will go ahead with its parliamentary election despite the global COVID-19 outbreak. In
Introducing the Diplomacy CaucusThe ongoing impeachment hearings in Washington, DC have had the unintended consequence of dragging down the morale of America’s News
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights