One Big Thing: Do you think the U.S. should support Hong Kong’s pro-democracy activists?
Join us and take our poll!
What is it?
- In May 2020, the Hong Kong protests will reach their one-year anniversary as demonstrators continue to fight for governmental accountability, freedom from tyranny and democratic norms.
- On Saturday, April 18, 15 pro-democracy activists and former lawmakers were arrested in connection to the protests signaling a broader crackdown – despite the danger posed by the COVID-19 pandemic. Since the movement began last year, thousands of pro-democracy protesters have been arrested by pro-Beijing security forces.
Why is it important?
- Among the arrested pro-democracy leaders was Figo Chan, the Vice-convener of the Civil Human Rights Front in Hong Kong and recipient of the 2019 John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service. His arrest, among others, demonstrates how China is trying to exert greater influence over Hong Kong, despite the “one country, two systems” agreement in place since 1997 when Hong Kong rejoined China as a special administrative region.
- The high-level arrests of pro-democracy leaders is a tactic that is commonly employed in mainland China, but is atypical in Hong Kong whose independent legal system provides greater protections for civil rights.
- Secretary Pompeo condemned the arrests and affirmed that Hong Kong should continue to enjoy transparency, the rule of law, democratic self- autonomy.
What can you do?
VIRTUAL EVENT - Countering Authoritarian's Use of Disinformation: The Road Ahead in 2021Around the globe in 2020, authoritarians exploited dis- and misinformation to undermine elections, quell political opposition,
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Introducing the Diplomacy CaucusThe ongoing impeachment hearings in Washington, DC have had the unintended consequence of dragging down the morale of America’s News
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights