One Big Thing: Do you think the U.S. should support Hong Kong’s pro-democracy activists?
Join us and take our poll!
What is it?
- In May 2020, the Hong Kong protests will reach their one-year anniversary as demonstrators continue to fight for governmental accountability, freedom from tyranny and democratic norms.
- On Saturday, April 18, 15 pro-democracy activists and former lawmakers were arrested in connection to the protests signaling a broader crackdown – despite the danger posed by the COVID-19 pandemic. Since the movement began last year, thousands of pro-democracy protesters have been arrested by pro-Beijing security forces.
Why is it important?
- Among the arrested pro-democracy leaders was Figo Chan, the Vice-convener of the Civil Human Rights Front in Hong Kong and recipient of the 2019 John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service. His arrest, among others, demonstrates how China is trying to exert greater influence over Hong Kong, despite the “one country, two systems” agreement in place since 1997 when Hong Kong rejoined China as a special administrative region.
- The high-level arrests of pro-democracy leaders is a tactic that is commonly employed in mainland China, but is atypical in Hong Kong whose independent legal system provides greater protections for civil rights.
- Secretary Pompeo condemned the arrests and affirmed that Hong Kong should continue to enjoy transparency, the rule of law, democratic self- autonomy.
What can you do?
Weekly Round up - 5/22/2020For updates on global human rights issues and ways that you can make a difference, make sure to explore WHTT's social media on Short Video
FLASHBACK: Mavericks NeededAlmost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Can South Korea serve as an example to the United States on how to run an election during COVID-19?What is it? On April 15, South Korea will go ahead with its parliamentary election despite the global COVID-19 outbreak. In
Introducing the Diplomacy CaucusThe ongoing impeachment hearings in Washington, DC have had the unintended consequence of dragging down the morale of America’s News
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights