One Big Thing: Should the U.S. Ease Iran’s Sanctions during the COVID-19 Pandemic?
Join us and take our poll
What is it?
- Earlier this week, Iran announced it will begin to resume normal life despite the significant COVID-19 outbreak it faced in February and March. Many citizens are worried about the potential of a second wave if social distancing is abandoned.
- The Iranians government’s initial response to the outbreak was to impose an ineffective and harsh quarantine, restrict citizens basic freedoms, and cover up the outbreak’s effects from the international community. Satellite images also documented the construction of mass graves large enough to see from space for COVID-19 deaths.
- Iran also released prisoners to prevent further outbreaks but ignored the numerous political prisoners unjustly incarcerated by the regime. Amnesty international reported that 36 prisoners were killed during protests over fears of contracting the coronavirus.
Why is it important?
- Iran’s reaction to the COVID-19 outbreak has demonstrated its complete and utter disregard for its citizen’s safety and public health. The government recently kicked out Doctors without Borders, showing its commitment to preventing legitimate reporting on their true outbreak statistics rather than prioritizing public health concerns.
- Some have argued the U.S. should ease its economic sanctions on Iran to allow medical supplies into the country to help the stem the outbreak and avoid a humanitarian nightmare. Yet, even Iran had indicated that it had enough medical supplies to address its COVID-19 outbreak.
- Iran’s human rights record is abysmal. Recently, they have shot down a Ukrainian Airliner, killed and suppressed thousands of protesters, and rigged February’s parliamentary election. This is largely orchestrated by Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei who has truly ran the country since 1989.
What can you do?
One Big Thing: Do you support the new cyber security laws?Today, President Joe Biden signed a National Security Memorandum (NSM) into effect on Improving Cybersecurity for Critical
Hong Kong Democracy Activists Fear Potential 'Exit Bans' - Should the U.S. Grant Them Refugee Status?What’s the story? A controversial immigration law enacted in Hong Kong has sparked concerns among pro-democracy activists that Legislation
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights