One Big Thing: Are you willing to give up some of your privacy to the government to slow the spread of COVID-19?
Join us and take our poll
What is it?
- As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to spread, many concerns have been raised about personal privacy particularly around contact tracing.
- Apple and Google announced that they will enable contact tracing as a method by which people would be tracked by their cell phones to document and then limit the spread of the virus.
- There has also been talk about airlines requiring an immunization passport to fly despite there being no evidence that people who have recovered from COVID-19 are protected from a second infection.
Why is it important?
- While slowing the spread of COVID-19 is critical, the response must be transparent and accountable – especially in terms of technology. An effective response should take into concern both public health and human rights.
- One recent study by Pew Research showed that most Americans do not think tracking people’s location via cell phone would slow down the spread of COVID-19 and 7 in 10 believe that their information on their cell phone is already being tracked.
- Despite the arguments against it, there are huge benefits to contract tracing if done right. South Korea has been a prime example of this practice, both from an effectiveness standpoint, but also addressing the privacy issues.
What can you do?
VIRTUAL EVENT: Authors & Insights: Josh Rogan and Ambassador Mark GreenJoin the McCain Institute for International Leadership for its next installment of its book talk virtual series on Friday, March
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Introducing the Diplomacy CaucusThe ongoing impeachment hearings in Washington, DC have had the unintended consequence of dragging down the morale of America’s News
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights