One Big Thing: Do you think the U.S. policies are working to improve human rights in North Korea?
Join us and take our poll!
What is it?
- North Korea is one of the worst human right abusers in the world. Kim Jong Un’s government has run a gulag state which restricts all freedom of expression and information, as well as arbitrarily incarcerates and executes its own citizens.
- In April 2020, intense rumors surrounding the death of Kim Jong Un surfaced following an alleged surgical operation. After weeks of silence, Kim appeared at a factory opening confirming that he is alive and well.
- In early May 2020, North Korea rebuffed China’s offer of COVID-19 assistance maintaining their illogical claim that they still have no confirmed cases.
Why is it important?
- The North Korean government’s repressive behavior towards its own citizens extends to all aspect of society. Everything from the economy to the media to religion is tightly controlled by the state and any sign of dissent is harshly punished.
- Internationally, North Korea threatens and postures with its nuclear weapons arsenal. It also has habitually ignored international laws and norms, even going as far as poison assassinating Kim Jong Un’s brother in a Malaysian airport.
- The rumors about Kim’s death and claims of no COVID-19 cases demonstrate the uncertain reality by which we have come to know North Korea. Almost no information comes out of the small country as the regime attempts to control the narrative by restricting access to news outlets, human rights organizations, and the United Nations.
What can you do?
Taliban Rejects U.S. Cooperation Against ISIS-K in AfghanistanWhat’s the story? The U.S. and Taliban over the weekend held their first formal talks since the American military withdrew from News
One Big Thing: 37K Afghan Evacuees to Be Resettled Around U.S. - How You Can HelpWhat’s the story? State Dept. data for the Afghan Placement and Assistance program obtained by the Associated Press and Axios
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights