One Big Thing: Do you think the U.S. policies are working to improve human rights in North Korea?
Join us and take our poll!
What is it?
- North Korea is one of the worst human right abusers in the world. Kim Jong Un’s government has run a gulag state which restricts all freedom of expression and information, as well as arbitrarily incarcerates and executes its own citizens.
- In April 2020, intense rumors surrounding the death of Kim Jong Un surfaced following an alleged surgical operation. After weeks of silence, Kim appeared at a factory opening confirming that he is alive and well.
- In early May 2020, North Korea rebuffed China’s offer of COVID-19 assistance maintaining their illogical claim that they still have no confirmed cases.
Why is it important?
- The North Korean government’s repressive behavior towards its own citizens extends to all aspect of society. Everything from the economy to the media to religion is tightly controlled by the state and any sign of dissent is harshly punished.
- Internationally, North Korea threatens and postures with its nuclear weapons arsenal. It also has habitually ignored international laws and norms, even going as far as poison assassinating Kim Jong Un’s brother in a Malaysian airport.
- The rumors about Kim’s death and claims of no COVID-19 cases demonstrate the uncertain reality by which we have come to know North Korea. Almost no information comes out of the small country as the regime attempts to control the narrative by restricting access to news outlets, human rights organizations, and the United Nations.
What can you do?
One Big Thing: Is it time for a new President in Belarus?What is it? Following Sunday’s rigged presidential election, people in Belarus have taken to the streets calling for Aleksander
One Big Thing: Do you think peace is achievable in Afghanistan?What is it? Earlier this week, new intelligence surfaced that Russia issued bounties to the Taliban to kill American soldiers in Quizzes
FLASHBACK: Mavericks NeededAlmost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Introducing the Diplomacy CaucusThe ongoing impeachment hearings in Washington, DC have had the unintended consequence of dragging down the morale of America’s News
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights