Do you think Facebook’s new Oversight Board will better protect people from online harassment, hate speech and violations of privacy?
Join us and take our poll
What is it?
- On May 6, Facebook committed itself to greater transparency and accountability by launching a new independent oversight board. This group of 20 individuals will review the company’s decisions about what content to take down or leave up on its various social media platforms.
- The group will start by examining Facebook and Instagram posts related to nudity, violence and hate speech but will eventually expand its mandate to ads, groups, pages, profiles and events.
- The board is composed of a diverse group of prominent human rights activists, thought leaders, academics, and civil servants including Yemeni Nobel Peace Prize laureate, Tawakkol Karman and former Prime Minister of Denmark, Helle Thorning-Schmidt. Eventually, the group plans to expand to 40 members.
Why is it important?
- The creation of the oversight board signifies an important move by Facebook to respond to complaints about restrictive content moderation, ideological bias, and privacy issues.
- Most importantly, this group has the power to override Mark Zuckerberg and other Facebook executives on issues related to content moderation – a new step for the social media company.
- In function, users will have 15 days to submit moderated content to the board for review. Each case will be reviewed by a 5-member committee whose final decision will be finalized by the entire board. Subsequently, Facebook and users will have a 90-day period to implement the board’s decision.
What can you do?
- Read Business for Social Responsibility’s Human Rights Review on Facebook’s Oversight Board.
- Check out Wired Magazine’s Complete Guide to Facebook Privacy and make sure your personal data is secure
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
WAITING FOR THE FINAL RESULTS TO COME INThe delay in electoral results in Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Nevada, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania is because of increased
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
REGISTER TO VOTEMake sure you are registered to vote in the upcoming 2020 elections HERE: https://vote.gov/
Introducing the Diplomacy CaucusThe ongoing impeachment hearings in Washington, DC have had the unintended consequence of dragging down the morale of America’s News
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights