One Big Thing: Do you think religious freedom is under attack around the world and in the United States?
Join us and take our poll
What is it?
- The State Department’s Report on Religious Freedom showed that 80 percent of people live in places where religious freedom is under attack.
- Around the world, religious freedoms are under attack as people of all religions face persecution for the faith they practice. Some examples include China’s persecution of Uighurs, clashes between Muslims and Hindus in India, Christians in Iraq and Burma’s persecution of the Rohingya.
- The United States, where religious freedom is enshrined in the First Amendment, has seen an increase of acts of prejudice, hate speech, and violent extremism, particularly aimed at the Jewish community as was witnessed with the Pittsburgh synagogue massacre.
Why is it important?
- Religious freedom is important because it protects each citizens’ right to live, speak, and act according to their beliefs peacefully and publicly. This fundamental freedom has also been frequently attributed to why the U.S. has managed to avoid many of the religious conflicts that have torn other nations apart.
- Today, many issues of religious freedom manifest on social media platforms. Many companies have begun to institute oversight committees for content moderation in response to the new trend.
- The trends are not promising, particularly when looking at the United States and the rise of anti-Semitism. According to the Anti-Defamation League, 2019 recorded the most incidents since 1979.
What can you do?
- Learn more from:
- United States Commission on International Religious Freedom.
- Anti-Defamation League’s 2019 Year in Review
- Religious Freedom Institute
Are you worried about foreign election interference in the U.S. election?Within the past few election cycles, foreign election interference has become a hot topic. As mentioned in the final Short Video
REGISTER TO VOTEMake sure you are registered to vote in the upcoming 2020 elections HERE: https://vote.gov/
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Introducing the Diplomacy CaucusThe ongoing impeachment hearings in Washington, DC have had the unintended consequence of dragging down the morale of America’s News
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights