One Big Thing: Georgia’s primary today experienced significant issues. Do these problems concern you ahead of the November general elections?
Join us and take our poll
What is it?
- Today, Georgia, Nevada, North Dakota, South Carolina and West Virginia held their primary elections. Many voters in Georgia reported experiencing significant delays due to issues with new voting machines the state is using for the first time, which has led many voters to wait for hours to cast their ballot.
- Disturbingly, there have also been many people who simply gave up and left without voting at all, leaving a huge number of voters disenfranchised across the state. Georgia also previously purchased 30,000 of these machines to prepare against COVID-19 – an ominous sign for the highly anticipated November election.
- This follows Washington DC’s primary election on June 2, which also had reports of substantial delays, with some voters waiting over 4 hours to cast their ballots.
Why is it important?
- As the nation heads towards the November general election, there have been many concerns about how to allow to safely manage electoral preparations, keeping the COVID-19 pandemic in mind. As some states have turned to technological alternatives to paper ballots, many have resulted in public disasters, as was the case with Iowa’s primary election. Similarly, 16 other states were forced to postpone or delay their primary elections due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Many states have decided to employ mail-in ballots, giving people the option send their votes in or drop them off at a sanctioned drop off location.
- Finally, these voting machines have been cited as a means for foreign governments to hack or influence our electoral process – leading many to call for the use of old fashion paper ballots.
What can you do?
One Big Thing: Should big tech bend to authoritarians’ demands to subvert democracy?What is it? Last weekend, Russians went to the polls to vote for their representation in Russia’s lower house of Parliament,
North Korea Reportedly Tests Long-Range Cruise Missile With Potentially Nuclear CapabilityWhat’s the story? North Korea reportedly tested a long-range cruise missile over the weekend that state media said is “a News
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights