One Big Thing: Do you think the United States and the rest of the world are doing enough to protect the LGBT community?
Join us and take our poll
What is it?
- On Monday, June 15, the Supreme Court ruled that federal workplace anti-discrimination laws protect gay and transgender employees under title VII of the civil rights act of 1964. Justice Neil Gorsuch wrote the opinion for the 6-3 ruling.
- Global opinions vary on LGBT rights. On Saturday, June 13, Polish President Andrzej Duda unfairly accused the LGBT movement as “more harmful that communism”. Earlier this month, his opponent in the ongoing presidential election, Warsaw Mayor Rafal Trzaskowski, called for tolerance for gays and lesbians.
- LGBT Pride Month is celebrated each June to commemorate New York City’s Stonewall Riots of 1969. The month is a celebration equality for all, diversity, and acceptance of all people.
Why is it important?
- The LGBT movement has continuously made strides to attain legal recognition and protections in the United States. Today’s landmark Supreme Court decision continues to provide the legal basis for basic human rights for the LGBT community as well as societal acceptance.
- However, around the world and at home, LGBT rights are constantly under attack. In some cases, outdated cultural beliefs have created homophobic stigmas while others have institutional and legal statues which infringe on LGBT rights.
What can you do?
Ask the Expert with Trevor Potter - Episode 2: Who exactly counts my vote? When will it be counted?The second installment of the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter on Mail in Voting is out! As a part of the We Hold These
REGISTER TO VOTEMake sure you are registered to vote in the upcoming 2020 elections HERE: https://vote.gov/
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Introducing the Diplomacy CaucusThe ongoing impeachment hearings in Washington, DC have had the unintended consequence of dragging down the morale of America’s News
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights