One Big Thing: Do you think the United States and the rest of the world are doing enough to protect the LGBT community?
Join us and take our poll
What is it?
- On Monday, June 15, the Supreme Court ruled that federal workplace anti-discrimination laws protect gay and transgender employees under title VII of the civil rights act of 1964. Justice Neil Gorsuch wrote the opinion for the 6-3 ruling.
- Global opinions vary on LGBT rights. On Saturday, June 13, Polish President Andrzej Duda unfairly accused the LGBT movement as “more harmful that communism”. Earlier this month, his opponent in the ongoing presidential election, Warsaw Mayor Rafal Trzaskowski, called for tolerance for gays and lesbians.
- LGBT Pride Month is celebrated each June to commemorate New York City’s Stonewall Riots of 1969. The month is a celebration equality for all, diversity, and acceptance of all people.
Why is it important?
- The LGBT movement has continuously made strides to attain legal recognition and protections in the United States. Today’s landmark Supreme Court decision continues to provide the legal basis for basic human rights for the LGBT community as well as societal acceptance.
- However, around the world and at home, LGBT rights are constantly under attack. In some cases, outdated cultural beliefs have created homophobic stigmas while others have institutional and legal statues which infringe on LGBT rights.
What can you do?
One Big Thing: Are you concerned about political violence in the United States?Recently, politically motivated violence against elected officials and US election officials has been on the rise. Politico
Senate Passes Bipartisan China Competition Bill, Draws Criticism From Chinese Communist PartyWhat’s the story? The Senate on Tuesday approved a broad package aimed at improving America’s technological competitiveness and Legislation
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights