One Big Thing: Will Brazil’s Challenges of Confronting COVID-19 and its Controversial President Weaken its Democracy?
Join us and take our poll
What is it?
- Brazil ranks second behind the United States in COVID-19 cases and could possibly overtake the U.S. by July.
- For the past couple weeks, thousands of Brazilian demonstrators have protested the government’s lack of response to COVID-19 as infection rates and deaths have taken a significant spike. Nationalist President Jair Bolsonaro controversially decided against imposing any lockdowns in order to preserve the economy – effectively sacrificing the country’s elderly and poorer residents who have little to no access to healthcare.
- Since the U.S. protests following the death of George Floyd, similar protests have erupted in Brazil calling for an end to police brutality and for greater racial equality. By the police’s own count, they have killed 606 people since the beginning of 2020.
Why is it important?
- Brazil is the world’s seventh most populous country and fifth largest democracy. The rise of nationalist policies and spike in COVID-19 cases has implications on the entire region.
- Police brutality in Brazil is a systemic problem and if the current rate of police killings remains unchanged, there will be 36,000 deaths this year – 36 times the amount in the United States. Most recently, Brazil omitted any language about police brutality to its annual human rights report, indicating Bolsonaro’s attempt to hide his administration’s misdeeds from its own people and the international community.
- Brazil’s population is 211 million and more than half of Brazilians identify as themselves as black, yet blacks make 44 percent less than whites.
What can you do?
One Big Thing: Are you concerned about political violence in the United States?Recently, politically motivated violence against elected officials and US election officials has been on the rise. Politico
Senate Passes Bipartisan China Competition Bill, Draws Criticism From Chinese Communist PartyWhat’s the story? The Senate on Tuesday approved a broad package aimed at improving America’s technological competitiveness and Legislation
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights