One Big Thing: Do you think more regulation on Big Tech is an infringement on freedom of speech?
Join us and take our poll
What is it?
- The Justice Department supports legislation introduced by Senator Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) that will make tech giants including Facebook, Google and Twitter liable for the posts, photos and videos uploaded to their sites by their users.
- This follows President Trump’s Executive Order (EO) which was signed in late May 2020 and targets protections for social media companies. Critics of the White House have indicated that the EO was retribution to limit social media companies influence following Twitter’s first fact check of a Trump tweet.
Why is it important?
- Advocates for many big tech companies that will be affected by this legislation if passed, believe that amending Section 230 protections will make it significantly more difficult to make these online platforms safer.
- Many social media companies have begun to self-regulate, as demonstrated by Facebook’s new and independent Oversight Board. Moves by big tech companies like this exhibit a new desire to be more accountable and transparent in their content moderation as they have come under fire for being overly partisan.
- Big Tech companies have increasingly come under fire from Democrats and Republicans, particularly around the exploitation of children.
What can you do?
- Check out Senator Hawley’s proposed legislation HERE.
- Check out Wired Magazine’s Complete Guide to Facebook Privacy and make sure your personal data is secure
One Big Thing: World Press Freedom DayJournalists play a major role in the promotion and protection of democracy and our unalienable rights, and they must be able to Short Video
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights