One Big Thing: Should the United States Continue Support to President Juan Guaidó in Venezuela?
Join us and take our poll
What is it:
- On June 23, 2020, President Trump surprised many with his comments about a potential meeting with Venezuelan dictator Nicholas Maduro. He later toned down his comments, but still indicated his willingness to meet with Maduro.
- The U.S government’s policy is to support President Juan Guaidó and Republicans and Democrats broadly support the Guaidó as the legitimate president of Venezuela and Trump’s comments were unexpected.
- Venezuela has also been hit hard by the coronavirus as the current economic and refugee crisis left the country’s residents and healthcare system unprepared to handle the high volume of cases. Worse, Maduro has used the crisis to tighten his grip on Venezuela’s institutions and limit the opposition’s political participation.
Why is it important?
- Bipartisan voices from the U.S. government and the human rights community have shown their support for Juan Guaidó in the 2018 election which many believe Maduro to have rigged.
- President Guaidó has gained legitimacy not only from the United States, but most of Latin America and Western Europe. Countries like Brazil, Colombia, France, Germany, the United Kingdom all back Guaidó, while Russia and China continue to back Maduro.
- While sitting on the world’s largest offshore oil reserves, Venezuela has economically collapsed, forcing millions of Venezuelans to flee into neighboring countries. These refugees are some of the most affected by COVID-19 as the international community has turned its back.
What can you do?
President Biden Says U.S. Will Defend Taiwan if China Attacks, White House Issues Walk BackWhat’s the story? President Joe Biden said Monday that the U.S. military would intervene if China attempts to invade Taiwan ,
Senate Votes on H.R. 7691: Additional Ukraine Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2022Bill Info Official Title : H.R. 7691: Additional Ukraine Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2022 Summary Title : Should the U.S.
Ask the Experts: How do threats to election officials affect American democracy?Tune in to hear David Becker discuss how threats to election officials affects American democracy. Becker is the Executive
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights