One Big Thing: Should the United States Continue Support to President Juan Guaidó in Venezuela?
Join us and take our poll
What is it:
- On June 23, 2020, President Trump surprised many with his comments about a potential meeting with Venezuelan dictator Nicholas Maduro. He later toned down his comments, but still indicated his willingness to meet with Maduro.
- The U.S government’s policy is to support President Juan Guaidó and Republicans and Democrats broadly support the Guaidó as the legitimate president of Venezuela and Trump’s comments were unexpected.
- Venezuela has also been hit hard by the coronavirus as the current economic and refugee crisis left the country’s residents and healthcare system unprepared to handle the high volume of cases. Worse, Maduro has used the crisis to tighten his grip on Venezuela’s institutions and limit the opposition’s political participation.
Why is it important?
- Bipartisan voices from the U.S. government and the human rights community have shown their support for Juan Guaidó in the 2018 election which many believe Maduro to have rigged.
- President Guaidó has gained legitimacy not only from the United States, but most of Latin America and Western Europe. Countries like Brazil, Colombia, France, Germany, the United Kingdom all back Guaidó, while Russia and China continue to back Maduro.
- While sitting on the world’s largest offshore oil reserves, Venezuela has economically collapsed, forcing millions of Venezuelans to flee into neighboring countries. These refugees are some of the most affected by COVID-19 as the international community has turned its back.
What can you do?
One Big Thing: Do you think public trust in institutions is important to democracy?Last week insurgents forced themselves onto the floor of the U.S. Capitol and American democratic institutions faced
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Introducing the Diplomacy CaucusThe ongoing impeachment hearings in Washington, DC have had the unintended consequence of dragging down the morale of America’s News
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights