One Big Thing: What can the world learn from Congo’s experience defeating and combatting Ebola?
Join us and take our poll
What is it?
- On Thursday, the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) announced that it had defeated the 10th outbreak of Ebola, almost two years after its initial discovery in the Central African country. During that time, an estimated 3,463 people were infected with the disease killing 2,280 of them.
- DRC’s fight against Ebola represents the second worst Ebola pandemic ever. DRC’s fight against Ebola represents the second worst Ebola pandemic ever and it is not fully over as a new strain of the virus has been found in the Mbandaka province. This has also been compounded by coronavirus as the DRC has been forced to fight both at the same time.
- This has also been compounded by coronavirus as the DRC has been forced to fight both at the same time.
Why is it important?
- There was a strong international response to combatting the virus. More than 300,000 people were vaccinated and this was the first fully licensed vaccine to fight Ebola, which ultimately led to its containment.
- Despite the large scale international response, it was hindered by DRC’s weak healthcare system and violence from armed militias. Despite the ongoing systemic issues, this goes to show (to the extreme) how underlying institutional issues can hinder emergency public health responses.
- Distrust of the government also hindered the medical response, brought on by everyday corruption and a lack of accountability. If a government cannot be upfront and transparent on all issues with its citizens, it will lose the public trust and be ineffective when it matters most.
- The DRC’s fight against both Ebola advised for social distancing and used contact tracing, showing that these methods are effective in combatting a highly transmittable pandemic disease.
What can you do?
One Big Thing: World Press Freedom DayJournalists play a major role in the promotion and protection of democracy and our unalienable rights, and they must be able to Short Video
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights