One Big Thing: Do you think peace is achievable in Afghanistan?
Join us and take our poll
- Earlier this week, new intelligence surfaced that Russia issued bounties to the Taliban to kill American soldiers in Afghanistan. Republicans and Democrats alike have demanded answers from the Trump Administration.
- The humanitarian situation in Afghanistan continues to be plagued by insecurity, violence and restrictions of personal freedom. Citizens and activist are frequently the victims of continued terrorism in some of the country’s most populated cities.
- Coronavirus has also hit Afghanistan whose healthcare system was not prepared to deal with the pandemic. Even in Kabul, hospital beds are in short supply and medical resources are scarce – largely weakened by decades of conflict.
Why is it important?
- Nearly two decades ago, the United States invaded Afghanistan to put an end to the Taliban insurgency and has led to the United States’ longest war.
- In February 2020, the U.S. agreed to a peace deal with the Taliban in Doha, Qatar. Unfortunately, many parts of this deal have not been upheld as Taliban violence has persisted.
- Afghan women have gained many rights since the United States and coalition forces deposed the Taliban, but many worry that women’s rights will be eroded with the possible return of the Taliban to Afghan politics.
- Recently, the U.S. has made plans to withdraw all military presence from the country by election day.
What can you do?
VIRTUAL EVENT: Authors & Insights: Josh Rogan and Ambassador Mark GreenJoin the McCain Institute for International Leadership for its next installment of its book talk virtual series on Friday, March
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Introducing the Diplomacy CaucusThe ongoing impeachment hearings in Washington, DC have had the unintended consequence of dragging down the morale of America’s News
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights