One Big Thing: Do you think peace is achievable in Afghanistan?
Join us and take our poll
- Earlier this week, new intelligence surfaced that Russia issued bounties to the Taliban to kill American soldiers in Afghanistan. Republicans and Democrats alike have demanded answers from the Trump Administration.
- The humanitarian situation in Afghanistan continues to be plagued by insecurity, violence and restrictions of personal freedom. Citizens and activist are frequently the victims of continued terrorism in some of the country’s most populated cities.
- Coronavirus has also hit Afghanistan whose healthcare system was not prepared to deal with the pandemic. Even in Kabul, hospital beds are in short supply and medical resources are scarce – largely weakened by decades of conflict.
Why is it important?
- Nearly two decades ago, the United States invaded Afghanistan to put an end to the Taliban insurgency and has led to the United States’ longest war.
- In February 2020, the U.S. agreed to a peace deal with the Taliban in Doha, Qatar. Unfortunately, many parts of this deal have not been upheld as Taliban violence has persisted.
- Afghan women have gained many rights since the United States and coalition forces deposed the Taliban, but many worry that women’s rights will be eroded with the possible return of the Taliban to Afghan politics.
- Recently, the U.S. has made plans to withdraw all military presence from the country by election day.
What can you do?
China Reportedly Tests Nuclear-Capable Hypersonic MissileWhat’s the story? China’s military tested a nuclear-capable hypersonic missile in August and caught U.S. intelligence analysts News
One Big Thing: 37K Afghan Evacuees to Be Resettled Around U.S. - How You Can HelpWhat’s the story? State Dept. data for the Afghan Placement and Assistance program obtained by the Associated Press and Axios
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights