Does China’s new restrictive security law end Hong Kong’s freedom?
Join us and take our poll
What is it?
- On July 1, 2020 Beijing imposed a new National Security Law (NSL) on Hong Kong which effectively ends the Special Administrative Region’s sovereignty. This date also marks the 23-year anniversary of Britain’s handover of Hong Kong to China, dictated by the principle of “Two systems, one government”.
- The NSL specifically bans subversion, sedition, terrorism and collusion but these terms can be interpreted broadly and used to quash freedom of speech, assembly and the right to protest the government. Any of these acts to “undermine the Communist Party’s Authority” are punishable by life imprisonment, in serious cases.
Why is it important?
- The NSL went into effect on Tuesday night as Hong Kong Police officers began to arrest pro-democracy demonstrators under the new law and used tear gas, pepper spray and water cannons to disperse protests.
- Unfortunately, in response many activists have deleted their social media accounts and disbanded opposition parties. This is the exact effect Beijing was hoping to have – scaring advocates of democracy and freedom into submission.
- The NSL also attacks pro-democracy foreign organizations and journalists by setting standards similar to what exists in mainland China. Article 38 of the law also allows for it to be applied "outside the region to a person who is not a permanent resident of the region" implying that even foreign entities and news organizations are at risk.
What can you do?
- Get more informed on what is going on in Hong Kong from NPR or the Council on Foreign Relations.
- Sign the petition to Condemn HK Police for Excessive Force against Citizens
VIRTUAL EVENT - Countering Authoritarian's Use of Disinformation: The Road Ahead in 2021Around the globe in 2020, authoritarians exploited dis- and misinformation to undermine elections, quell political opposition,
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Introducing the Diplomacy CaucusThe ongoing impeachment hearings in Washington, DC have had the unintended consequence of dragging down the morale of America’s News
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights