One Big Thing: Do you support removing Confederate symbols and renaming U.S. military bases?
Join us and take our poll
What is it?
- Since the death of George Floyd, the movement to remove Confederate monuments, memorials and U.S. military base name changes has increased significantly. States all over the country have made moves to remove these symbols of the Confederacy and the country’s slaveholding past.
- In Richmond, Virginia, the former capital of the Confederacy, Mayor Levar Stoney ordered the removal of several statues, despite the legality of their removals. Stoney said, “We've had 33 days of unrest. It's time. It's time to move beyond the lost cause and embrace the righteous cause. We can be more than just the capital of the Confederacy. It's time for us to be the capital of compassion.
- The Senate Armed Services Committee voted on legislation to make the Pentagon change confederate named bases but President Trump promised to veto the bill if it passed in Congress
Why is it important?
- Public sentiment has changed dramatically with regard to symbols of the Confederacy. Not only have statues been removed and toppled, but the state of Mississippi passed a law changing the flag.
- The Washington Post reported that a majority of voters favor removing Confederate symbols, “most voters — 52 percent — support removing Confederate statues from public spaces around the country, according to a June Quinnipiac University poll, a significant increase in support since August 2017, when fewer than 40 percent of voters supported removing such statues.”
- President Trump’s threats to veto the Congressional bill have been met with substantial pushback from Republicans and Democrats alike who see its morally wrong to commemorate Confederate leaders.
What can you do?
- Check out the Southern Poverty Law Center’s Map of Confederate monuments and symbols in the U.S.
Do you think the election result will be delayed?A poll by Axios and IPSOS shows that one in three Americans thinks the election results will be announced on election night or Short Video
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
REGISTER TO VOTEMake sure you are registered to vote in the upcoming 2020 elections HERE: https://vote.gov/
Introducing the Diplomacy CaucusThe ongoing impeachment hearings in Washington, DC have had the unintended consequence of dragging down the morale of America’s News
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights