One Big Thing: Do you agree with today’s Supreme Court decision regarding the electoral college?
Join us and take our poll
What is it?
- On Monday, July 6, the Supreme Court ruled to uphold states’ laws which prohibit their representatives at the electoral college from voting against their constituents’ wishes. This is known as the “Faithless Elector” and there was growing concern ahead of November’s general election.
- At the center of the debate is the issue of the electoral college results versus the popular vote results in a presidential election.
Why is it important?
- Historically, the electoral college has been a defining feature of the American democratic process and often insignificant.
- However, in the past five elections, two elections (2000 & 2016) resulted when the loser won the popular vote, while the winner won the electoral college. This was particular salient when President Donald Trump won the electoral college in 2016 and Hilary Clinton won the popular vote. This sparked a debate over the electoral college’s current effectiveness as some voices have called for a change in electoral systems.
- The Supreme Court’s decision is an important measure to ensure electoral integrity in the lead up to the 2020 elections as it legally guards against electors from taking measures into their own hands. It prevents rogue delegates from misrepresenting their constituents’ decisions, thus ensuring that voters’ decisions are upheld.
- Yet, the debate remains. Take a look at both sides of the debate about the electoral college and decide for yourself:
What can you do?
Do you think the election result will be delayed?A poll by Axios and IPSOS shows that one in three Americans thinks the election results will be announced on election night or Short Video
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
REGISTER TO VOTEMake sure you are registered to vote in the upcoming 2020 elections HERE: https://vote.gov/
Introducing the Diplomacy CaucusThe ongoing impeachment hearings in Washington, DC have had the unintended consequence of dragging down the morale of America’s News
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights