One Big Thing: Do you agree with today’s Supreme Court decision regarding the electoral college?
Join us and take our poll
What is it?
- On Monday, July 6, the Supreme Court ruled to uphold states’ laws which prohibit their representatives at the electoral college from voting against their constituents’ wishes. This is known as the “Faithless Elector” and there was growing concern ahead of November’s general election.
- At the center of the debate is the issue of the electoral college results versus the popular vote results in a presidential election.
Why is it important?
- Historically, the electoral college has been a defining feature of the American democratic process and often insignificant.
- However, in the past five elections, two elections (2000 & 2016) resulted when the loser won the popular vote, while the winner won the electoral college. This was particular salient when President Donald Trump won the electoral college in 2016 and Hilary Clinton won the popular vote. This sparked a debate over the electoral college’s current effectiveness as some voices have called for a change in electoral systems.
- The Supreme Court’s decision is an important measure to ensure electoral integrity in the lead up to the 2020 elections as it legally guards against electors from taking measures into their own hands. It prevents rogue delegates from misrepresenting their constituents’ decisions, thus ensuring that voters’ decisions are upheld.
- Yet, the debate remains. Take a look at both sides of the debate about the electoral college and decide for yourself:
What can you do?
One Big Thing: Do you support the new cyber security laws?Today, President Joe Biden signed a National Security Memorandum (NSM) into effect on Improving Cybersecurity for Critical
Hong Kong Democracy Activists Fear Potential 'Exit Bans' - Should the U.S. Grant Them Refugee Status?What’s the story? A controversial immigration law enacted in Hong Kong has sparked concerns among pro-democracy activists that Legislation
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights