One Big Thing: Should China be allowed to host the 2022 Winter Olympics if it’s guilty of genocide against Uighurs?
Join us and take our poll
What is it?
- New evidence has emerged that that Chinese government has imposed measures to reduce the Uighur population in Xinjiang including pregnancy checks, forced intrauterine devices, sterilization and even abortion. These human rights abuses violate the 1948 Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide.
- Last month, President Trump signed the Uyghur Human Rights Policy Act of 2020 which authorizes the use of sanctions on Chinese officials directly responsible for the atrocities committed in Xinjiang.
Why is it important?
- China has systematically oppressed over a million Muslim Uighurs in “reeducation camps” where they are forced to renounce their religion and pledge loyalty to the Chinese Communist Party.
- In just the past year alone, the birthrate in Xinjiang has fallen 24 percent, showing that the CCP’s effort to forcibly reduce Uighur population is working. Historically, the global community has put a stop to regimes who are systematically incarcerating and eradicating a religious minority in the way the CCP is currently doing.
- Many have claimed that due to the human rights violations its committed, China should not be allowed to hold the 2022 Winter Olympics on top of having individual CCP officials sanctioned.
What can you do?
One Big Thing: Should the U.S. continue to sanction Iran?Earlier this month, Iran and the United States held diplomatic talks in Vienna to discuss lifting sanctions on the middle
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights