One Big Thing: Is Facebook systematically violating civil rights or protecting free speech?
Join us and comment to share your opinion
What is it?
- A recent independent audit of Facebook’s civil rights record showed that it’s company strategy to prioritize free speech was unsustainable and failed to address issues of hatred, bigotry and manipulation on its Facebook and Instagram platforms.
- This has been accompanied by the largest boycott on Facebook’s ads in history as over 1000 companies stopped paid advertising. Facebook’s leadership held a series of video conferences earlier this week with the boycotts organizers but both parties walked away seemingly dissatisfied.
Why is it important?
- The new report describes Facebook’s current approach to civil rights as “reactive and peacemeal” and claims that the algorithm actually increases polarization and extreme content, particularly around hate speech, bigotry .
- As the 2020 election looms, auditors urge Facebook to address these issues as they could have a long-lasting negative effect on U.S. democracy. Last month, Facebook, Twitter and Google testified to Congress that they are continuing to deal with foreign election meddlers who are using their platforms to sow distrust and widen societal cleavages.
- The boycott has caught Facebook’s attention because of its impact on its revenue stream. This demonstrates the effectiveness of collective action to spur actionable change.
What can you do?
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
WAITING FOR THE FINAL RESULTS TO COME INThe delay in electoral results in Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Nevada, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania is because of increased
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
REGISTER TO VOTEMake sure you are registered to vote in the upcoming 2020 elections HERE: https://vote.gov/
Introducing the Diplomacy CaucusThe ongoing impeachment hearings in Washington, DC have had the unintended consequence of dragging down the morale of America’s News
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights