One Big Thing: Is Facebook systematically violating civil rights or protecting free speech?
Join us and comment to share your opinion
What is it?
- A recent independent audit of Facebook’s civil rights record showed that it’s company strategy to prioritize free speech was unsustainable and failed to address issues of hatred, bigotry and manipulation on its Facebook and Instagram platforms.
- This has been accompanied by the largest boycott on Facebook’s ads in history as over 1000 companies stopped paid advertising. Facebook’s leadership held a series of video conferences earlier this week with the boycotts organizers but both parties walked away seemingly dissatisfied.
Why is it important?
- The new report describes Facebook’s current approach to civil rights as “reactive and peacemeal” and claims that the algorithm actually increases polarization and extreme content, particularly around hate speech, bigotry .
- As the 2020 election looms, auditors urge Facebook to address these issues as they could have a long-lasting negative effect on U.S. democracy. Last month, Facebook, Twitter and Google testified to Congress that they are continuing to deal with foreign election meddlers who are using their platforms to sow distrust and widen societal cleavages.
- The boycott has caught Facebook’s attention because of its impact on its revenue stream. This demonstrates the effectiveness of collective action to spur actionable change.
What can you do?
One Big Thing: Are you concerned about political violence in the United States?Recently, politically motivated violence against elected officials and US election officials has been on the rise. Politico
Senate Passes Bipartisan China Competition Bill, Draws Criticism From Chinese Communist PartyWhat’s the story? The Senate on Tuesday approved a broad package aimed at improving America’s technological competitiveness and Legislation
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights