One Big Thing: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
Join us and take our poll
What is it?
- The Washington Redskins have begun an internal review of their team name and logo which have come under fire for negatively displaying Native American imagery. Many consider “Redskin” to be a racial slur and their logo to be culturally insensitive.
- Other sports teams with Native American imagery now also have big choices to make regarding their names and logos. The Kansas City Chiefs, Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians and many others will have to decide if it is worth keeping their current branding.
Why is it important?
- Despite growing public pressure on the Washington Redskins to change their name, owner Dan Snyder has come out publicly against any changes, maintaining that the name comes from the franchise’s “proud tradition and history”.
- While many teams consider changing their names and logos to non-inflammatory things, some organizations have gone about it differently. Florida State University got permission from the Seminole Tribe beforehand and continues an open dialogue to ensure that their relationship remains mutually supportive.
What can you do?
- Check out more resources and sign the petition to end the use of Native American mascots in sports
One Big Thing: Is it time for a new President in Belarus?What is it? Following Sunday’s rigged presidential election, people in Belarus have taken to the streets calling for Aleksander
One Big Thing: Do you think peace is achievable in Afghanistan?What is it? Earlier this week, new intelligence surfaced that Russia issued bounties to the Taliban to kill American soldiers in Quizzes
FLASHBACK: Mavericks NeededAlmost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Introducing the Diplomacy CaucusThe ongoing impeachment hearings in Washington, DC have had the unintended consequence of dragging down the morale of America’s News
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights