One Big Thing: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
Join us and take our poll
What is it?
- The Washington Redskins have begun an internal review of their team name and logo which have come under fire for negatively displaying Native American imagery. Many consider “Redskin” to be a racial slur and their logo to be culturally insensitive.
- Other sports teams with Native American imagery now also have big choices to make regarding their names and logos. The Kansas City Chiefs, Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians and many others will have to decide if it is worth keeping their current branding.
Why is it important?
- Despite growing public pressure on the Washington Redskins to change their name, owner Dan Snyder has come out publicly against any changes, maintaining that the name comes from the franchise’s “proud tradition and history”.
- While many teams consider changing their names and logos to non-inflammatory things, some organizations have gone about it differently. Florida State University got permission from the Seminole Tribe beforehand and continues an open dialogue to ensure that their relationship remains mutually supportive.
What can you do?
- Check out more resources and sign the petition to end the use of Native American mascots in sports
One Big Thing: Can you spot online disinformation about the COVID-19 pandemic?Since the outbreak of COVID-19 , a considerable amount of online disinformation has surfaced about all aspects of the pandemic,
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights