One Big Thing: Should international students have to take in-person classes to retain their student visas?
Join us and take our poll
What is it?
- Earlier this month, the Trump Administration announced that international students studying in the U.S. will be required to take at least one in-person class to retain their visas. This directive has sent students scrambling as universities have moved to online classes due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Harvard and MIT filed a joint lawsuit to temporarily prevent the government from implementing the policy, claiming that it would prevent many of their international students from remaining in the country while taking online classes. Other schools have also challenged the new order.
Why is it important?
- Many have come out strongly against this decision, claiming that it is not sensitive to the students’ safety amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Others have argued that this measure will put pressure on universities to resume normal classes to allow students to return to campus. Many universities have already made plans to hold classes virtually for the Fall 2020 semester.
- Some universities have looked to provide alternatives, for example USC announced it will make a free, in-person, one-credit class available so international students can keep their visas.
What can you do?
- Learn more about the financial implications from the Bipartisan Policy Center
U.S. Intel Warns Russia is Prepping ‘False Flag’ Operation as Pretext for Invading UkraineWhat’s the story? Russia is reportedly preparing a “false flag” operation to create a pretext and justify an invasion of Ukraine
McCain Institute Human Rights and Democracy SummitThe virtual event will take place in conjunction with the White House’s Summit for Democracy on December 9 – 10, 2021 . The
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights