One Big Thing: Should international students have to take in-person classes to retain their student visas?
Join us and take our poll
What is it?
- Earlier this month, the Trump Administration announced that international students studying in the U.S. will be required to take at least one in-person class to retain their visas. This directive has sent students scrambling as universities have moved to online classes due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Harvard and MIT filed a joint lawsuit to temporarily prevent the government from implementing the policy, claiming that it would prevent many of their international students from remaining in the country while taking online classes. Other schools have also challenged the new order.
Why is it important?
- Many have come out strongly against this decision, claiming that it is not sensitive to the students’ safety amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Others have argued that this measure will put pressure on universities to resume normal classes to allow students to return to campus. Many universities have already made plans to hold classes virtually for the Fall 2020 semester.
- Some universities have looked to provide alternatives, for example USC announced it will make a free, in-person, one-credit class available so international students can keep their visas.
What can you do?
- Learn more about the financial implications from the Bipartisan Policy Center
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
WAITING FOR THE FINAL RESULTS TO COME INThe delay in electoral results in Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Nevada, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania is because of increased
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
REGISTER TO VOTEMake sure you are registered to vote in the upcoming 2020 elections HERE: https://vote.gov/
Introducing the Diplomacy CaucusThe ongoing impeachment hearings in Washington, DC have had the unintended consequence of dragging down the morale of America’s News
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights