One Big Thing: Does changing the Hagia Sophia from a museum to a mosque limit religious freedom in Turkey?
Join us and take our poll
What is it?
- On July 10th, Turkish President Erodgan signed a decree which switched the Hagia Sophia from a museum to a mosque.
- This reverses the 1934 decree, which made the Hagia Sophia into a museum, under the rule of Turkish leader Mustafa Kemal Ataturk.
- Hagia Sophia is now open to Muslisms and non-Muslims for prayer
Why is it important?
- The Hagia Sophia carries an important and complex historical and religious significance for Muslisms and Christians. In the Byzantine empire, it was a cathedral for Christians and there are still remnants of Christian icons in this monument. The cathedral was later converted into a mosque by the Ottoman Empire in the 15th century.
- Turning the Hagia Sophia into a mosque was widely criticized by global and religious leaders and organizations, such as UNESCO and Pope Francis.
- This move also made Hagia Sophia a non-secular monument, catering to Turkey’s Muslisms over it’s other religious minorities.
What can you do?
- Learn more about the Hagia Sophia’s history
Taliban Rejects U.S. Cooperation Against ISIS-K in AfghanistanWhat’s the story? The U.S. and Taliban over the weekend held their first formal talks since the American military withdrew from News
One Big Thing: 37K Afghan Evacuees to Be Resettled Around U.S. - How You Can HelpWhat’s the story? State Dept. data for the Afghan Placement and Assistance program obtained by the Associated Press and Axios
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights