One Big Thing: Would you be okay if TikTok and other Chinese owned Apps were banned due to invasion of your privacy?
Join us and take our poll
What is it?
- On July 21, 2020 the U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations released a report which accuses China of “digital authoritarianism” by using its technological rise to conduct surveillance and censor information around the world.
- The report considers a ban on Chinese-developed software including the TikTok app which has come under much public scrutiny in recent months. There have also been allegations of facial recognition software and other surveillance technology embedded within these apps.
- The Chinese government has also used city-wide surveillance systems to oppress Uighurs in Xinjiang and encroach on the freedom and privacy of Tibetans. On top of this, the Chinese Communist Party has conducted surveillance and digitally threatened Uighurs living outside of China who are willing to speak out.
Why is it important?
- China has been known to censor the internet but it now has a method of easily exporting this technology to other authoritarian regimes around the world. Because it primarily uses cell phones, it can also be easily distributed to the masses and can be used to target youth populations.
- China has used its newfound place as a one of the global tech leaders to create a new model of governance over the internet and digital communication. It has also focused on exporting its technology around the world, including Venezuela, Uzbekistan, Zimbabwe and others.
- China’s influence around the world varies. Some countries like South Africa have embraced Chinese technology while others like Great Britain have rejected it completely. Inside China, foreign tech is almost universally banned including sites like Google, Facebook and Twitter.
What can you do?
- Check out recommendation for countering China’s global influence from the McCain Institute’s Democracy and Human Rights working group
One Big Thing: Should the U.S. continue to sanction Iran?Earlier this month, Iran and the United States held diplomatic talks in Vienna to discuss lifting sanctions on the middle
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights