One Big Thing: Is deploying federal officers in Portland government overreach?
Join us and take our poll
What is it?
- Protests in Portland have re-escalated as over 100 federal officers descend on the city to quell the demonstrators. Law enforcement officers have used tear gas, rubber bullets and other non-lethal tools to disperse non-violent protesters since the protests began in late May.
- A recent movement in Portland which quickly went viral is known as the Wall of Moms. This protest group is formed of mothers dedicated to supporting the BLM movement and ending police violence against nonviolent protesters.
- Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler was hit with tear gas on the night of July 22 as he joined protesters in the city’s downtown. Wheeler has faced criticism for not reigning in local law enforcement using tear gas in recent weeks.
Why is it important?
- The presence of federal law enforcement in Portland has made many demonstrators nervous, especially following President Trump’s promise to crack down on the democratic cities that are “worse than Afghanistan”.
- Local law enforcement and elected officials including the mayor of Portland have asked the President to withdraw the federal agents from Portland, saying that their presence causes more violence than it prevents.
- While the Wall of Moms has gained positive nationwide attention, some have criticized the group of centering the voices of mostly white women. One similar group called “Mothers of the Movement” is comprised of the mothers of black victims of police brutality but has not received the same viral coverage.
What can you do?
- Check out what the U.S. Congress has been doing to address police brutality
- Read some potential solutions to the issue of police brutality from Foreign Policy
One Big Thing: Do you think Protests in Russia’s Far East will spread to other parts of the country?What is it? For the past three weeks Russians in the city of Khabarovsk in the Far East have protested the firing and Quizzes
One Big Thing: Do you think peace is achievable in Afghanistan?What is it? Earlier this week, new intelligence surfaced that Russia issued bounties to the Taliban to kill American soldiers in Quizzes
FLASHBACK: Mavericks NeededAlmost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Introducing the Diplomacy CaucusThe ongoing impeachment hearings in Washington, DC have had the unintended consequence of dragging down the morale of America’s News
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights