One Big Thing: Does cancel culture limit free speech?
Join us and take our poll
What is about?
- Cancel culture is a term used when people disagree on a company's or individual’s controversial opinions. This has led to boycotts of prominent brands and celebrities, such as Goya, J.K Rowling, and Nick Cannon.
- Other celebrities and government officials have come into light because their actions were deemed inappropriate, such as wearing blackface or making derogatory comments of a certain race or gender.
- It also has an impact on taking down monuments of controversial slave owners, traders, or segregationists and potentially renaming military bases in America.
Why is this important?
- Cancel culture is itself controversial. Many critics claim that boycotting organizations and individuals lead to suppression of free speech while supporters maintain that it is a populist-driven process that helps set societal boundaries.
- Nowadays, famous individuals who have made insensitive remarks at any point in their career about a controversial topic face backlash from the public, often leading to the loss of their social clout.
- Cancel culture also has an impact at the university and collegiate level. The hashtag #CancelYale was trending on Twitter which called for Yale University to change their name since it was named after a British slave trade owner named Elihu Yale.
North Korea Reportedly Tests Long-Range Cruise Missile With Potentially Nuclear CapabilityWhat’s the story? North Korea reportedly tested a long-range cruise missile over the weekend that state media said is “a News
One Big Thing: Do you support the Local Journalism Sustainability Act of 2021?The Local Journalism Sustainability Act of 2021 is a bipartisan bill in support of local newsrooms across the country. The bill
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights