One Big Thing: Does cancel culture limit free speech?
Join us and take our poll
What is about?
- Cancel culture is a term used when people disagree on a company's or individual’s controversial opinions. This has led to boycotts of prominent brands and celebrities, such as Goya, J.K Rowling, and Nick Cannon.
- Other celebrities and government officials have come into light because their actions were deemed inappropriate, such as wearing blackface or making derogatory comments of a certain race or gender.
- It also has an impact on taking down monuments of controversial slave owners, traders, or segregationists and potentially renaming military bases in America.
Why is this important?
- Cancel culture is itself controversial. Many critics claim that boycotting organizations and individuals lead to suppression of free speech while supporters maintain that it is a populist-driven process that helps set societal boundaries.
- Nowadays, famous individuals who have made insensitive remarks at any point in their career about a controversial topic face backlash from the public, often leading to the loss of their social clout.
- Cancel culture also has an impact at the university and collegiate level. The hashtag #CancelYale was trending on Twitter which called for Yale University to change their name since it was named after a British slave trade owner named Elihu Yale.
One Big Thing: Do you think Protests in Russia’s Far East will spread to other parts of the country?What is it? For the past three weeks Russians in the city of Khabarovsk in the Far East have protested the firing and Quizzes
One Big Thing: Do you think peace is achievable in Afghanistan?What is it? Earlier this week, new intelligence surfaced that Russia issued bounties to the Taliban to kill American soldiers in Quizzes
FLASHBACK: Mavericks NeededAlmost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Introducing the Diplomacy CaucusThe ongoing impeachment hearings in Washington, DC have had the unintended consequence of dragging down the morale of America’s News
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights