One Big Thing: Does cancel culture limit free speech?
Join us and take our poll
What is about?
- Cancel culture is a term used when people disagree on a company's or individual’s controversial opinions. This has led to boycotts of prominent brands and celebrities, such as Goya, J.K Rowling, and Nick Cannon.
- Other celebrities and government officials have come into light because their actions were deemed inappropriate, such as wearing blackface or making derogatory comments of a certain race or gender.
- It also has an impact on taking down monuments of controversial slave owners, traders, or segregationists and potentially renaming military bases in America.
Why is this important?
- Cancel culture is itself controversial. Many critics claim that boycotting organizations and individuals lead to suppression of free speech while supporters maintain that it is a populist-driven process that helps set societal boundaries.
- Nowadays, famous individuals who have made insensitive remarks at any point in their career about a controversial topic face backlash from the public, often leading to the loss of their social clout.
- Cancel culture also has an impact at the university and collegiate level. The hashtag #CancelYale was trending on Twitter which called for Yale University to change their name since it was named after a British slave trade owner named Elihu Yale.
McCain Institute Human Rights and Democracy SummitThe virtual event will take place in conjunction with the White House’s Summit for Democracy on December 9 – 10, 2021 . The
China Criticizes U.S. for Inviting Taiwan to Democracy SummitWhat’s the story? As part of an ongoing effort to increase Taiwan’s involvement in international bodies, the U.S. has invited News
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights