One Big Thing: Can the United States lead on human rights again?
Join us and take our poll
What is it?
- On July 16, the State Department’s Commission on Unalienable Rights released a report which assesses of the role of human rights in American foreign policy.
- Many human rights experts believe that the report will limit the scope of what is considered a human right but others have argued that the commission’s report is timely and sets a high bar which will hopefully lead to real change in how human rights are promoted.
Why is it important?
- The United States has historically been a leader promoting global human rights and with human rights in decline around the world, a renewed emphasis is needed on human rights in American foreign policy.
- The Commission on Unalienable Rights already faced criticism from the human rights community for unfairly prioritizing certain rights above others. In May 2020, over 167 rights-focused organizations signed an open letter in opposition to the commission.
- Despite criticism of the commission, the report comes at a time when China and Russia’s authoritarian influence is spreading across the globe.
What can you do?
- Check out the United Nation’s Universal Declaration of Human Rights
One Big Thing: Should the U.S. continue to sanction Iran?Earlier this month, Iran and the United States held diplomatic talks in Vienna to discuss lifting sanctions on the middle
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights