Should more be done to protect Cubans' rights?
Join us and take our poll
What is it?
- Recently, the Cuban government harassed and detained multiple activists ahead of a planned protest after police killed a black man. The government accused many of the activists of “spreading an epidemic” in order to stifle their voices.
- Cuba has been one of Latin America’s success stories in combatting the COVID-19 pandemic. Last week Cubans celebrated four months without any local transmission of the virus.
Why is it important?
- The Universal Declaration of Human Rights requires that governments respect their citizens' freedom of speech and assembly. The most recent protest is just the latest incident in the country’s history of citizen repression.
- The Cuban government has been repeatedly accused of arbitrarily detaining critics in an effort to subdue opposition voices. Cuba also maintains a tight control on the information space by strictly regulating press freedom and frequently shutting down the internet.
What can you do?
- For more, check out Inter-American Commission on Human Right’s report on Cuba
One Big Thing: Do you think Protests in Russia’s Far East will spread to other parts of the country?What is it? For the past three weeks Russians in the city of Khabarovsk in the Far East have protested the firing and Quizzes
One Big Thing: Do you think peace is achievable in Afghanistan?What is it? Earlier this week, new intelligence surfaced that Russia issued bounties to the Taliban to kill American soldiers in Quizzes
FLASHBACK: Mavericks NeededAlmost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Introducing the Diplomacy CaucusThe ongoing impeachment hearings in Washington, DC have had the unintended consequence of dragging down the morale of America’s News
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights