One Big Thing: Do you trust the media to uphold American democracy?
Join us and take our poll
What is it?
- A recent poll conducted by the Knight Foundation and Gallup found that Americans have lost confidence in the media’s ability to report without bias. A majority of respondents reported experiencing “a great deal” of political bias in the news.
- The poll also found that local news continues to play a crucial role in civic engagement. People who follow local news are more likely to vote in local elections and often feel more attached to their communities.
Why is it important?
- The results of this poll are important in the context of democracy, especially three months before a critical Presidential election. The media should provide citizens with the objective information they need to form their own opinions but this cannot happen if people think news outlets are biased.
- The poll also noted that Americans’ perception of the news is largely formed from their political party affiliation. This form of identity politics stems from deep political divisions and threatens the democratic process.
- Most Americans also blame the news for creating political division but they also believe that the media can play a role in bridging the gap.
What can you do?
- Read the poll for yourself from the Knight Foundation and Gallup
One Big Thing: Are you concerned about political violence in the United States?Recently, politically motivated violence against elected officials and US election officials has been on the rise. Politico
Senate Passes Bipartisan China Competition Bill, Draws Criticism From Chinese Communist PartyWhat’s the story? The Senate on Tuesday approved a broad package aimed at improving America’s technological competitiveness and Legislation
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights