One Big Thing: Support the People of Beirut
Join us and spread the word to your community
What is it?
- On August 4, 2020 a massive explosion in Beirut killed over 100 people, injured over 3000, and caused extensive infrastructure damage to Lebanon’s capital. The government claimed that an accidental fire ignited a stockpile of fireworks and ammonium nitrate.
- Beirut’s Governor Marwan Abboud said 300,000 people had been made homeless and that the collective losses could reach 10 to 15 billion US dollars.
Why is it important?
- This explosion will likely make Lebanon’s existing political, economic and humanitarian crises much worse. Currently, Lebanon also hosts the highest proportion of refugees per capita in the world and has struggled to cope with the spillover effects of regional conflicts in Syria and the Palestinian territories.
- Lebanon has also been combatting the COVID-19 pandemic and this catastrophe will make it more difficult to prevent the spread of the virus. Many have been left without basic necessities.
What can you do?
- Read more about what can be done for Lebanon’s refugee crisis from CSIS.
One Big Thing: Should big tech bend to authoritarians’ demands to subvert democracy?What is it? Last weekend, Russians went to the polls to vote for their representation in Russia’s lower house of Parliament,
North Korea Reportedly Tests Long-Range Cruise Missile With Potentially Nuclear CapabilityWhat’s the story? North Korea reportedly tested a long-range cruise missile over the weekend that state media said is “a News
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights