One Big Thing: Support the People of Beirut
Join us and spread the word to your community
What is it?
- On August 4, 2020 a massive explosion in Beirut killed over 100 people, injured over 3000, and caused extensive infrastructure damage to Lebanon’s capital. The government claimed that an accidental fire ignited a stockpile of fireworks and ammonium nitrate.
- Beirut’s Governor Marwan Abboud said 300,000 people had been made homeless and that the collective losses could reach 10 to 15 billion US dollars.
Why is it important?
- This explosion will likely make Lebanon’s existing political, economic and humanitarian crises much worse. Currently, Lebanon also hosts the highest proportion of refugees per capita in the world and has struggled to cope with the spillover effects of regional conflicts in Syria and the Palestinian territories.
- Lebanon has also been combatting the COVID-19 pandemic and this catastrophe will make it more difficult to prevent the spread of the virus. Many have been left without basic necessities.
What can you do?
- Read more about what can be done for Lebanon’s refugee crisis from CSIS.
One Big Thing: Do you think public trust in institutions is important to democracy?Last week insurgents forced themselves onto the floor of the U.S. Capitol and American democratic institutions faced
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Introducing the Diplomacy CaucusThe ongoing impeachment hearings in Washington, DC have had the unintended consequence of dragging down the morale of America’s News
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights