One Big Thing: Is it time for a new President in Belarus?
Join us and take our poll
What is it?
- Following Sunday’s rigged presidential election, people in Belarus have taken to the streets calling for Aleksander Lukashenko to step down from the presidency after 26 years in power.
- Belarus’s security forces responded to protesters with violence and repression, at leaving least one person dead, hundreds injured and thousands arrested.
- Opposition candidate Svetlana Tikhanovskaya was forced to flee the country to Lithuania. She stood in for her jailed husband as a candidate and was able to unite the opposition to challenge Lukashenko.
Why is it important?
- Lukashenko has been called the “last dictator in Europe” since he’s been the country’s only president since the collapse of the Soviet Union and has held onto that position through rigged elections.
- Previous fraudulent elections did not cause this type of mass reaction. Opposition leader/candidate Tikhanovskaya drew thousands of supporters during her campaign, energizing the populace never seen in recent memory.
- Lukashenko has backed himself into a corner after angering Belarusians, arresting Russian mercenaries and rejecting the west.
- Since taking office in 1994, Lukashenko has created an environment of fear and repression as he has repeatedly arrested opposition leaders, harassed independent media and passed laws to limit freedom of assembly.
What can you do?
One Big Thing: Should Facebook do more to fight disinformation?A new report published by Avaaz stated that misinformation about COVID-19 was twice as likely to stay up on Facebook if they
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
People of Hong Kong Receive Leadership AwardThe second annual John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service has been awarded to the people of Hong Kong in recognition News
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights