One Big Thing: Do you support Temporary Protected Status for Venezuelans and Burmese refugees?
Join us and take our poll
What is it?
- On March 9th and March 12th respectively, the Biden administration approved Temporary Protected Status for Venezuelans and Burmese refugees in the United States to halt deportations of citizens from those countries and provide temporary protection and employment authorizations.
- As a part of the Immigration and Nationality Act, the Department of Homeland Security has the authority to designate citizens of certain countries under TPS and offer blanket relief to those who have not committed crimes and are in the United States under temporary visas, pending asylum hearings, or are currently undocumented.
- The moves follow the economic crisis, food insecurity, and a systematic pattern of human rights violations in Venezuela and the current instability in Burma following the military coup.
Why is it important?
- Although different in nature, both populations could face increased life-threatening risks if deported or forced to return.
- The TPS is granted for a limited amount of time and aims to pave the way for a safe return once the overall conditions have improved and do not put the lives of those foreign citizens at risk.
- Even though the Trump administration limited deportations to Venezuela, several dozen still occurred and many were left without status, deciding whether to go back while the regime engaged in increased repression and the overall conditions worsened.
- The Congressional Budget Office estimates that around 300,000 Venezuelans and about 1,600 Burmese in the United States would benefit from TPS.
What can you do?
One Big Thing: Should big tech bend to authoritarians’ demands to subvert democracy?What is it? Last weekend, Russians went to the polls to vote for their representation in Russia’s lower house of Parliament,
North Korea Reportedly Tests Long-Range Cruise Missile With Potentially Nuclear CapabilityWhat’s the story? North Korea reportedly tested a long-range cruise missile over the weekend that state media said is “a News
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video
Join we hold these truths and take action on human rights