Should the U.S. Continue to Celebrate Confederate Memorial Day?
Confederate Memorial Day is:
What's the story?
- Each year, Americans on both sides of the Mason-Dixon are setting off legal and illegal fireworks in honor of those who gave their lives fighting for the stars and stripes.
- Throughout the south, however, a handful of states have another holiday to honor those who died fighting for the stars and bars.
Which states honor those who died in the Civil War?
Confederate Memorial Day is an official state holiday in Alabama, Mississippi, and South Carolina. It is unofficially observed in most southern states.
- Alabama, Florida, and Georgia celebrate Confederate Memorial Day on the fourth Monday in April.
- Mississippi observes Confederate Memorial Day on the last Monday in April.
- South Carolina honors Confederate soldiers on May 10.
- Virginia calls the last Monday in May Confederate Memorial Day.
- Louisiana celebrates Confederate Memorial Day on June 3, the same day Tennessee observes Confederate Decoration Day.
- Texas observes Confederate Heroes Day on January 19.
What do you think?
Do you support a Memorial Day honoring Confederate soldiers? Take action above, then share your thoughts below.
(Photo Credit: Art Anderson / Creative Commons)
One Big Thing: Are you concerned about political violence in the United States?Recently, politically motivated violence against elected officials and US election officials has been on the rise. Politico
Senate Passes Bipartisan China Competition Bill, Draws Criticism From Chinese Communist PartyWhat’s the story? The Senate on Tuesday approved a broad package aimed at improving America’s technological competitiveness and Legislation
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal
Ask the Expert - Episode 6: When can you expect to know the election result?As a part of the We Hold These Truths 2020 Election Center , the Ask the Expert Series with Trevor Potter will provide you with Short Video