McCain Institute Human Rights and Democracy Summit
The McCain Instituteis hosting its inaugural Human Rights and Democracy Summit.
The virtual event will take place in conjunction with the White House’s Summit for Democracy on December 9 – 10, 2021. The McCain Institute’s Human Rights and Democracy Summit will be split into two segments: ending forced labor and defending democracy.
The summit will be livestreamed on the McCain Institute Youtube page.
11:00 a.m. EST – Galvanizing Cooperation Among Democracies to End Forced Labor
Virtual Event | Organized by the McCain Institute for International Leadership, Global Fund to End Modern Slavery, and Humanity United | Held in the United States in English
Description: The right to fundamental freedoms, justice and dignity is at the very core of democracy. The perpetuation of slavery, through forced labor, child labor, human trafficking and commercial sexual exploitation, of nearly 25 million people is an affront to democratic values. Join the McCain Institute, the Global Fund to End Modern Slavery and Humanity United for a conversation with civil society and government leaders from democracies taking steps to eliminate forced labor from their countries and global supply chains.
View the panel’s official page on the Summit 4 Democracy website.
• Secretary Martin Walsh – U.S. Department of Labor
• Ambassador Katherine Tai – United States Trade Representative
• James Kofi Annan – Founder and President, Challenging Heights
• Heidi Hautula – Member of European Parliament
• Senator Julie Miville-Dechêne – Senate of Canada
• Leonardo Sakamoto – President, Repórter Brasil
• Ambassador Josette Sheeran – Executive Chairman, McCain Institute for International Leadership
• Philippe Sion – Managing Director, Forced Labor and Human Trafficking, Humanity United
• Alex Thier – CEO, Global Fund to End Modern Slavery
Submit questions for the panelists here.
12:30 p.m. EST – The Perils of Defending Democracy: Perspectives from Around the World
Virtual Event | Organized by the McCain Institute for International Leadership | Held in the United States in English
Description: Democratic norms and human rights are under attack around the world and human rights defenders are at grave risk. The McCain Institute is convening journalists and activists from Russia, Turkey, and Venezuela to share the threats they face, their first-hand experiences, and their expectations of the U.S. government.
• Barış Altıntaş (Turkey) – Journalist and civil society professional. Founding president and co-director of the Istanbul-based Media and Law Studies Association (MLSA)
• Roman Badanin (Russia) – John S. Knight Senior International Fellow at Stanford University, and the founder and editor-in-chief of the recently established investigative media outlet Agentstvo (agents.media) and former editor-in-chief of investigative outlet Proekt
• Carla Angola Rodríguez (Venezuela) – Multimedia journalist with a career spanning over 20 years and millions of followers on social media
• Paul Fagan – Director of the Human Rights and Democracy programs for the McCain Institute for International Leadership at Arizona State University
Additional speakers may be added
President Biden Says U.S. Will Defend Taiwan if China Attacks, White House Issues Walk BackWhat’s the story? President Joe Biden said Monday that the U.S. military would intervene if China attempts to invade Taiwan ,
Senate Votes on H.R. 7691: Additional Ukraine Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2022Bill Info Official Title : H.R. 7691: Additional Ukraine Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2022 Summary Title : Should the U.S.
Ask the Experts: How do threats to election officials affect American democracy?Tune in to hear David Becker discuss how threats to election officials affects American democracy. Becker is the Executive
How do you plan on practicing Maverick voting?Almost two years ago, we made the call for Mavericks – people who challenge the status quo; people who defend the dignity of
Local News Source Guide - Western RegionArizona - AZ AZCentral New Mexico - NM Albuquerque Journal Oregon - OR The Oregonian Nevada - NV Las Vegas Review Journal