Zelensky and Biden Plan to Meet in Washington This Wednesday
This will be Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky's first foreign meeting since the beginning of the war
Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky has arranged to meet Joe Biden this Wednesday in Washington, D.C. The meeting has been shrouded in secrecy and has not been confirmed by either side due to the evolving security situation.
- This will be Zelensky's first international trip since Russia invaded Ukraine in February and speculators think that his trip might include a speech to Congress.
- The Biden administration have discussed sending Ukraine a defense package to help them in their fight against Russia. This package would include the Patriot missile system.
- When asked, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi declined to verify the meeting but sent a cryptic letter imploring House lawmakers to attend Congress Wednesday for a special meeting.
A Morale-Boosting Meeting
- The New York Times has emphasized that the meeting is "risky" and "daring", but it has the potential to have an enormous morale-boosting effect for the besieged nation.
- In the city of Bakhmut, soldiers gave Zelensky a Ukrainian flag and asked him to bring it to Congress
(Photo Credit: Twitter)